How to Set Default Expense Account for Vendors
QuickBooks can pre-fill the expense accounts on payments to vendors, making it quicker and easier to accurately track expenses. When you choose the vendor that you want to pay on the Write Checks, Enter Bills, or Enter Credit Card Charges windows, QuickBooks pre-fills the expense account names on the Expenses tab. This can save you time and prevent data entry errors. You can always override any pre-filled information in a transaction if necessary.
To associate expense accounts with a vendor
1. Click on Vendors menu and select Vendor Center
2. Click the Vendors tab.
3. Right-click the vendor you want to edit and then click Edit Vendor.
4. Click the Account Prefill tab.
5. Choose up to three expense accounts.
If you use only one or two expense accounts for the vendor, leave the remaining drop-down menus blank. To clear all drop-down menus, click the Clear All button.
6. Click OK to save the vendor information and close the window.
Another way to set the default account for vendors is to set the preference to use the last expense account used for a vendor.
To do this:
1. Go to Edit menu
2. Choose Preference
3. Select General.
4. Click on My Preference
5. Check off the option to Automatically remember account or transaction information and select the option to Pre-fill accounts for vendor based on past entries.